Yields: about 16 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Gluten free, no refined sugar and full of hearty nutrition such as iron, protein and fiber, these soft baked bars are a perfect way to start the day!
2 cups ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup fine cornmeal
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mash bananas in a large bowl and beat in eggs, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla extract until well combined.
3. Add rolled oats, cornmeal, tapioca flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Pour into a parchment paper or lightly oiled 8 x 8 x2 inch pan.*
*You could always use a pan with larger dimensions to make a thinner bake, yet the bake time would then be decreased.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes until middle is cooked through. Let cool. Serve with a bit of whipped butter, fresh berries, dust with powdered sugar or simply enjoy solo. Store in the refrigerator.
The girls and I are home for the summer, and with this “extra” time, I set a goal of trying new recipes and flavors. I really want to think outside the box and eat different combinations of flavors, while keeping high nutrition density.
The girls and I first made a banana and oatmeal bake with whole wheat flour. I used eggs because I wanted the resulting texture, as well as nutrition, such as choline, iron and protein. I was thinking a combination between French toast and banana oatmeal, using maple syrup as the only sweetener (besides ripe bananas of course).
However, after we made the first round with whole wheat flour, my oldest and I both had the same thought of using cornmeal as a flour base, replacing the wheat. We have made Sweet Potato Cornbread which is a favorite in our house. So, a banana version isn’t that far off.
Again, this has three eggs, so the texture isn’t intended to be super fluffy, but instead be reminiscent of a breakfast bake. There is no added oil or refined sugar, relying on the moisture from bananas and applesauce as well as the natural sweetness from bananas and maple syrup. Oats bring some heartiness to the recipe, adding some depth as well. The cornmeal is finely ground, but also adds a hint of mild sweetness and really holds everything together.
Pin on Pinterest!