Double Chocolate Zucchini and Avocado Muffins
Yields: 12 muffins Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
Loaded with potassium, vitamins C and E, fiber and healthy fats, these zucchini-filled chocolate muffins have no added butter or oil except for that from a whole avocado. Plus, chocolate chips add a bit of decadence that makes them irresistible!
1 cup shredded zucchini (small part of cheese grater)
1 medium avocado
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup high quality cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda (preferably aluminum free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Shred zucchini on the smallest side of the box cheese grater. Gently take the zucchini and squeeze out the excess water into a bowl (either toss or throw in the next smoothie or soup). Set the squeezed zucchini aside.
3. In a large bowl, mash avocado until chunks are gone. Add grated zucchini, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to wet mixture, combining until well mixed. Add in chocolate chips.
5. Line a muffin tin with liners and fill about 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 375 degrees for about 13-15 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool. Keep on the counter for a few days, but best kept in the refrigerator or freezer for longer shelf life.
Zucchini is on the brain! Well, it’s in the garden in abundance and sitting on the counter just waiting to be used. And well, chocolate is always on the brain, so these two made a natural pair for me!
These zucchini in particular all came from my mother-in-law’s garden. She has a perfect spot in her backyard that has so much space for these green squash to roam. The best part is my three kiddos get to help in the harvesting. I swear that when they see the plant grow in the ground, and they get to pick it, they just enjoy eating it that much more!
Zucchini and chocolate as a combo is nothing incredibly new. However, what makes these muffins special is that there is no other butter or added oil – simply a whole avocado.
Avocados are loaded with nutrients from potassium and vitamin, to incredibly vital healthy fats. They are not even detectable (although, I wasn’t trying to hide them), but simply add a healthier way to moisten the muffin.
I shredded the zucchini on one of the smaller sides of a box cheese grater. Of course you could use another method, but this didn’t require electricity and it got the job done.
As far as sweet zucchini recipes go, this is one to save. This recipe makes 12 and uses a whole cup of zucchini, so there’s a good amount of the veggie in these chocolate morsels. They do keep in the freezer, but for us, they just don’t last that long to make it there!