Yields: 3 – 4 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
Great as a holiday side dish, this easy family friendly roasted cabbage dish is loaded with health benefits such as vitamin K and fiber, as well as a savory roasted flavor everyone will enjoy!
1/2 head of medium green cabbage
1 clove garlic, diced
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut cabbage half in half again. From here, slice wedges about 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch thick.
3. Lay wedges out on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
4. Finely dice the clove of garlic and place in a small dish. Add the olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Mix together and using a pastry brush, lightly brush on all of the wedges.
5. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the wedges.
6. Place in a 400 degree oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, until cabbage is golden brown and some pieces are crispy.
There is something about roasting cabbage that makes it get a little sweeter. When you combine that bit of garlic and lemon with the sprinkle of salt and pepper, something magical happens. Part of the cabbage stays a bit soft, and parts of the layers that separated when cutting get incredibly crispy. The crispy parts mimic little toasty chips that are irresistible.
Lately, I’ve been feeling like I’m falling down on getting the kids eating vegetables. Our family birthdays started heavily in October, with lots of activities, parties and then sliding right into the candy-filled holiday of Halloween. So, I’m been on a mission to go back to scratch with our vegetables. I want to make simple dishes highlighting the natural flavors of each vegetable.
Cabbage is loaded with sulphur, known for its benefits for healthy and glowing skin. Vitamin C and fiber are also nutritious components of this cruciferous vegetable. Plus, the health benefits, such as antioxidant and immune boosting power, of garlic don’t hurt either!
The kids were seriously fighting over this cabbage, so luckily I had the other half to throw in the oven!
Pin it on Pinterest!
Other great veggie sides:
Thyme & Garlic Roasted Carrots (GF, VG)
Garlic & Parmesan Zucchini Noodles (GF)
Rosemary Roasted Beet & Root Vegetable Feta Salad (GF)