Toasty Tamari Roasted Almonds
Yields: 2 cups Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
Adding tamari to raw almonds brings out the naturally deep flavor of the almonds with a bit of savory salt to quench any craving. Almonds are a good source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium and protein, as well as beneficial fats.
2 cup raw almonds
1 1/2 tablespoon tamari (can specify gluten free if necessary)
1 teaspoon avocado oil (or preferred oil)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Pour the almonds in a medium sized mixing bowl.
3. Mix the oil and tamari in a small bowl and pour over the almonds, mixing them together and covering completely.
4. Spread out on parchment paper on a baking tray.
5. Roast in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. Turn almonds half way through baking. Timing depends on oven heat. The longer the almonds are in the oven, the crunchier (drier) they will be. Too long, and the sugars in the tamari will burn.
6. Let cool and store in an airtight container.
The whole family loves these almonds. I’ve always made them for holiday entertaining, placing a bowl out for snacking. They have a bit of elegance over regular raw or toasted almonds, and they taste like it, too!
My mom actually started making these a while back, and so I have to give her credit for the recipe. She omits the oil, and they turn out delicious for her as well. I like to have a little oil mixed with tamari before, as it seems to coat them a little more evenly and prevent the sugars in the tamari from burning before the almonds have time to roast.
I had some help making these, as the little hands kept reaching in. My youngest likes to help as much as the older ones, and this is one time that she can get involved. She helped me pour the ingredients, mix them and spread the almonds out. It’s always great to have a helping hand, right?
One of my kiddos is on the slighter side, and I predict will eventually end up choosing a plant-based diet when she is a bit older. Just a feeling based on her preferences and aversions. Anyway, these are a great choice for her as a snack, and she just eats them right up. The girl is like her mother, and loves salt!
Other snacks you might enjoy: