Yields: 16-20 sticks Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
Cold water fish, such as wild Alaskan salmon, and walnuts are loaded with brain boosting and anti-inflammatory omega 3 fats. These two power foods also boast iron and vitamin E, among many other nutrients.
1 lb. fresh salmon, bones and skin removed
1/2 c. raw walnuts
2 slices whole wheat, multi-grain or sprouted grain bread, toasted
*(can be gluten free bread for a gluten free meal)
½ c. shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. onion powder
1 T. olive oil (optional)
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 t. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Blend walnuts, toasted bread, parmesan cheese, salt and onion powder in a food processor until well blended. Spread onto plate for coating.
3. Cut salmon into “sticks”, about 2 inches long by 1/2 inches wide.
4. Dip salmon sticks into egg mixture. Move to breading plate, and lightly cover with breading. Move to parchment paper or silicone lined baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Drizzle 1 T. olive oil over uncooked salmon sticks (optional).
5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Do not overcook, or fish will become dry.